Author Topic: Forester good for towing a car transporter?  (Read 474 times)

Offline joey

• Car: Impreza
Forester good for towing a car transporter?
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
Anyone on here have a forester for towing a car transporter and if so how would ya rate it?
No luck in finding a clean landcruiser or pajero long wheel base for handy money so im thinking of a forester 2.0 turbo around 03.Wont be using it everyday just the odd time so no point in spending big money.
Any views welcome.

Offline nivek4209

• VIP Member
Re: Forester good for towing a car transporter?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
Dunno about a foz but the moffett lads used to use a bug sti for towing it had a car behind it on an ivor williams most weekends for years i drove it with empty trailer a few times it was well fit
Foz shoukd be better as its a little more robust
00wrx RA 2.1 Ali burrows forged CDB
MD321T  with stainless headers and uppipe
Simtek ecu six speed excedy racing clutch and fly
Full 3" exhaust
 Brembo conversion

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
03 to 08 XT had a tiny TF035 turbo out of the factory which spools by 1800rpm so has a decent spread of torque Joey.  The main issues with the older car relative to towing are likely CV joints (all 4), oil consumption (they nearly all burn oil), clutch and the rear shockers.  The EDM models are a must as the JDM Foz runs a higher state of tune with the turbo spooling somewhat higher, not good for your clutch.

There is a thing in Forester circles called "Saggy Butt Syndrome" where the factory SLS dampers fail and cause the car to look like it's sitting down at the rear, quite common and you may have noticed it before or will if you buy one.  After market dampers often won't cure this and many of us ended up using spacers on top of the strut tower to level the ride, happens on full height or dropped setup.  I don't recall coming across HD shockers or even just dampers for the purpose of towing while I had mine but I've seen plenty pulling caravans ok. 

Try to avoid the 99 to 02 S turbo though.  It has a lower state of tune and might be better suited to your needs but, insurance companies slap a heavy loading because it has "Turbo" in the model name.  Along with the B4, the XT seems to escape this notice.  Also there are plenty of what appear to be viable S turbos on Done Deal right now though if that isn't an issue for you.
99 sleeper. TD04-19T. JGM.

Offline joey

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
There a mint looking 05 on donedeal for handy enough money but its 2.5 and can't justify paying tax on it as already have a 2.0,2.2 and 2.5 taxed on the drive.

There is one also on donedeal with coilovers which could be handy.Be on holidays soon so i'll try line up one or 2 to go look at.

Another thing I must look into is towing capacity as there clamping down on it around here lately.

Im still hoping to find a landcruiser'or pajero as they probably suit me better in the long run and commercial tax but if there not rough they have rust problems and tired of travelling the country looking at scrap.

This web site is hosted by http://www.chireland.com.
anything