Author Topic: No one visiting and changed the car  (Read 1081 times)

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
No one visiting and changed the car
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
I've not been able to access the site for the last two weeks and it turns out the SSL cert ran out so nobody else did either.  Steve, our shepherd, sorted this out so now it's open again.

On another note, the Foz has gone to a new home.  I've had it for eight years which is the longest I've owned any vehicle but felt it was time for a change.  There wasn't a sell by date but my lady friends brother bought an E200 Kompressor recently and while Mercedes was so far off my radar I never even looked at them, I was ultra impressed not only by the car but that he got a 2007 model with 100k for just under 6k.  A similar spec C class seems to carry a higher price tag and I suspect the reason is that the smaller car is more popular with younger folk and therefore more fashionable.  The E200K would appear to have been purchased more often by the older set and consequently many 10 year old cars have sub 100k miles and are often in superb condition.  An interesting peculiarity on the E200K though is the road tax.  Up to 2008, it's classed as a 1.8L and so the tax is 636, as normal for this size of engine.  The 09 model however slips up to 1200 a year.  This is likely because the 07 onwards made 184BHP from the 1.8 supercharged motor (up to 2006 it was 160BHP) so understandably, emissions are high, 3g into the top bracket so if you want one, make it a 2008 or before.

I am continually impressed with mine, Mercedes are big on small details.  It's no slouch either, up to 80mph it shifts but loses it a bit after that however, I was spoiled with the Forester as that was all torque and prodding the throttle at any speed above 60mph in 5th allowed to horse forward dismissing most cars.  The 5EAT box is also one of the nicest I've ever driven and although the 6MTs are super rare I don't think the difference is that great anyway. This one has 80k miles and set me back 5700 so I reckon I did ok.

I have also experienced the Mercedes haters, I think.  I am normally a courteous driver but on a couple of trips up to the city I allowed many folk to pull out, across or gave way for other maneuvers too and it' was as if I didn't exist, not even a look my way.  I'm not bothered by other peoples rudeness but I thought it was interesting.

For anyone who has reached the stage of wanting something nice to be in, swift and also fun to drive, I would recommend one of these.  The main contenders were a 520d, 9-3 Tiid, VRS or a hot Passat TDi. Looking at these cars now makes them look somewhat pale in comparison for my wants at any rate although they are all great cars.  I'm 56 now so perhaps the right age for a Cock Mobile.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Forester and this club as well as the international Forester forum and would have no hesitation if anyone asked my opinion on buying one. 

Unfortunately for the young chap who bought my car, it died on the way home.  He called me and said the big ends had suddenly failed, although I've never heard of that and have always been a keen listener to it's various mechanical noises.  I'll take a guess he was hoofing it in fourth, went for fifth and accidentally hit third, and blew it up (it happened on the motorway and he was with his friend in a Jetta with drug dealer wheels so maybe a little showing off?).  Anyway, I gave him a few bob towards replacing the engine (again, if the big ends had gone, that's a repairable job surely) of which he purchased from fat dave.  He is apparently a panel beater so anyone in the Kilmuckridge and Gorey areas of  Wexford may see it in due course although he thought he would paint it white.

I'd like to continue to lurk around if that's ok with everyone.

99 sleeper. TD04-19T. JGM.

Offline Blitzer

• Team Member
Re: No one visiting and changed the car
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »
Looks good Tony, happy motoring! I'm also regularly ignored for my niceness on the road due to my choice in vehicle but it's water off a ducks back now  :laugh:
96 Sti Type ra v-limited Mcrae edition no.305

Offline nivek4209

• VIP Member
  • Car: Impreza
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Lokks the part tony
Did you manage to find the indicator switch  on the merc yet
They must be a bugger to find no fecker ever uses them on the mercs the bigger the merc the worse it gets :)
Happy motoring 
Thats a bugger about the foz blowing but i woukd have given taillight warranty on that  its was the young chaps thinking its a civic  that killed it id say
00wrx RA 2.1 Ali burrows forged CDB
MD321T  with stainless headers and uppipe
Simtek ecu six speed excedy racing clutch and fly
Full 3" exhaust
 Brembo conversion

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
It's all on one stalk Kevin and I am determined not to be a rude arse Benz driver (no more so than I've ever been one on or in any vehicle) but yeah, I slag all my friends who've bought BMWs and Audis about the same thing so......  The car is very quiet inside so the indicator relay is really loud in the cabin.  Perhaps this is why many don't use it (right :laugh:) and it also leaves no excuse for not using it.  I did sell the Foz on the understanding that it had high mileage but as far as I knew, it was running perfectly although burning a little oil, not uncommon even on new Foresters.  I decided to give him a dig out not so much for his sake but because I've been shafted too many times when buying used cars with no recourse or acknowledgment from the seller.  That hurts and can damage a fellas confidence.  Although I did it for me, perhaps the sentiment will be passed on and then again, maybe it won't and he's laughing his head off at the stupid old fart he conned.  Long term, this is not my problem and I believe I did the right thing.

When you hit the new black tarmac stretches on the later motorways, it's quite eerie to be wafting along at the speed limit with almost no noise.  The Forester was a noisy bastard at speed (although my definition is not the same as many here, Gars old WRX was an assault on the ears I believe), as were all the frameless window Subarus, no way to stop it really and not for lack of trying.  I had a load of deadening and other sound insulation all over the car making it a lot quieter than any other gen1 SF but once past 60mph the noise levels could be tiring over long journeys.  As one gets older this is harder to ignore.

Offline eddiegtb

• v5 sti impreza
  • Car: Impreza
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »
Well wear tony nice motor! The place is very quiet around here lately be a shame to loose another top member! So do stick around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline colliem

• VIP Member
  • legacy
  • Car: Other
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Nice bus tony pity the foz is gone I think I sold him an engine .
Seems a bit strange it going like that but like you said he was prob hoofing it
Gen 1 legacy
78 Kadett c saloon

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »
Yes indeed Colly, Bought it to him in Blanch?  I thought that was a bit too nice for fd but the description sounded like him.

Offline colliem

• VIP Member
  • legacy
  • Car: Other
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
Yeah met him in blanch don't let stranger at my garage
Gen 1 legacy
78 Kadett c saloon

This web site is hosted by http://www.chireland.com.