Author Topic: Some advice on a non Subaru please ladies and gents.  (Read 1038 times)

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
Some advice on a non Subaru please ladies and gents.
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I've had the Foz for eight years which is the longest of any vehicle I've owned but I think it's time to move on now.  I'm delving into what is a new a new arena for me as car tech has moved on.  I'd like to be able to do the basic servicing myself but I am aware many cars are now made so as to be main dealer only serviceable and hopefully some of you can assist me.

Primarily I'd like a fairly quick diesel estate as the Foz is not short of grunt and I enjoy being able to dismiss fools on the motor way or get out of poorly planned or suddenly changing situations rapidly.  On longer runs, my Forester is a good car, particularly on the Mway as Luke can attest to, where it eats up the miles in comfort and with ease while not drawing the wrong kind of attention.  While Luke thought I was hoofing it going to jap fest last year, in reality I was merely prodding the throttle for very rapid overtaking without any drama.  I'd like to try and retain this as much as possible.  Due to the  cost of road tax, particularly when 2L is passed I'll keep it at that point.  I've done the maths and there is very little interesting I can afford passed 08 and the new emission regs that would make me spend the extra dough on something juicy to get cheaper road tax, the sums make no sense.

Based on my budget which will top out around 6K if the CU comes through, I have been looking at 05/06 BMW 520d's and a few seem to be interesting although there seem to be various models of which I can't work out what the differences are.  I know nothing about these cars other than encountering them on the motorway and being impressed with them.  Does anyone have knowledge of this car, good, bad and ugly?  Did they have the stupid dealer only oil change setup in 06?  Motor, electrics, which tranny - AT or MT? Is the fabled maximum life an issue or just bollox?

I also came across an Audi A4 170 horse avant with about 150K miles that looked interesting.  What should I know about these cars please?  I did a few VRS Skodas and while the performance looks impressive the insides are not but....

While an estate isn't crucial it would make hauling my double bass around a bit easier.  I even looked at 04/05 Mercedes E200 estates, the one with the supercharged 1.8 motor.  A friend recently bought the saloon version, an 07 model, and I must say it is nice inside but even a blown 1.8 motor is going to struggle, unless I change my approach.

A B4 wagon would also be very nice but I would be concerned about the reliability of the mechanism that crosses from the primary to the secondary turbo.  While it has been written about I don't know how much of an issue it is in reality but many of the insurance companies don't actually realise what a B4 is and as long as you don't mention turbo, which isn't in the model title anyway, one should be able to legally insure it for less than a Forester "S turbo" - 168BHP V 280BHP, from the factory.  Also, these cars are asking too high a price relative to year for my pocket.

It might be nice to do all this and sell the Foz on as all seems to be working fine even if the body is a bit scruffy.  I did consider an XT but the amount of work needed to mod it up to the specs, internal as well as engine and suspension, of my car is too much for me to manage now.

Any advice would be appreciated. :icon_thumleft:
99 sleeper. TD04-19T. JGM.

Offline colliem

• VIP Member
  • legacy
  • Car: Other
Re: Some advice on a non Subaru please ladies and gents.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »
You have a wide range to go for it's personal preference , borrow it down and il help with any info needed
Gen 1 legacy
78 Kadett c saloon

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
Thanks Dude.  Im off to see the CU this week so pending their outcome I'll have an idea where I'm going.

Offline nivek4209

• VIP Member
  • Car: Impreza
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:34:30 PM »
Im a fan of most big eztates
Personally a big beemer 5 series 530d
Or an a6 avant or any big volvo 2.4d or even nicer a t5 estate
But thats all probably out of budget  be carefull of the besmer 520d timing chains and flywheels all expensive shite
00wrx RA 2.1 Ali burrows forged CDB
MD321T  with stainless headers and uppipe
Simtek ecu six speed excedy racing clutch and fly
Full 3" exhaust
 Brembo conversion

Offline nivek4209

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »
If aything pops up local to me i can have an initial look for ya if needed just gimme a call
Full 3" exhaust
 Brembo conversion

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  I have read that about the 520d alright and there is some issue with the VAG  diesel too, something to do with the timing chain cog?  I'm also wondering if I really need an estate as I know quite a few fellas with upright basses who move them in saloon cars.  E200K 1.8 Merc is looking interesting right now, maybe as I've had my fast car it's time to go for a bit of comfort and I can't find anything substantial complaint wise in the 05-06 models.  I'll need to test one first though.

Offline smokey wrx

• Unique And Epic
  • VIP Member
  • strugglin by....
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »
Early 05ish 2.0 16v vag Diesel engine had an oil pump issue! 06 was better and so on! There is a repair for it and/or The older 1.9 pump can be fitted but I'm sure that isn't what you want to take on! The 2.0 diesel common rail is a good engine and even the 1.6 diesel common rail depending on what you want from it! I'm a diesel fan but currently my 2 dailys are both vag 1.8t petrol engined cars so petrol cars aren't outside the realm of acceptability if you do decide to go that direction!! Your use and use of it would be the thing that predicts what you need to buy!!

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Thank you Rob and as you mention having daily drivers, can I assume your recovery is such that you are out in a car on a daily basis again?  There was an interesting 170 horse Passat wagon on DD but the 250k kms was a bit too high even though the timing belt had been done 50k before, nice motor though and tidy looking. As I mentioned to Nivek, I'm wondering if I actually need a wagon and is high performance essential?  Some of the newer diesels are very exciting but wringing that much grunt out of mid displacement oil burners seems to not be without issue.  Current favourites, pending CU approval, are a Saab 9-3 150 as the 180 has apparently suffered from EGR and other issues too widely written about to be incidental, or a E200 1.8K Merc and as the estate version is so vast a PSV licence should be needed, I reckon I'll probably stay saloon.  Some post 2005 models seem to suffer from failure of the timing chain cog and while it is noted, I don't see  whole lot of complaints.  Due to the sort of folks who generally buy these (elder lemons) ten year old cars with sub 100k miles are easily got and mostly in pristine condition.  Not quick but nice to be in.

Offline Blitzer

• Team Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
I'm not sure if it's something you want to do but why not get a crew cabbed jeep, which is what I'm doing and you get 5 seats and 333 road tax for the year! You need doe yearly and commercial insurance but I have all the comfort in the world and nice power too! Food for thought anyways man
96 Sti Type ra v-limited Mcrae edition no.305

Offline smokey wrx

• Unique And Epic
  • VIP Member
  • strugglin by....
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Daily driver is a term i use loosely! I typically drive once a week to my dads! Walk or cycle everywhere else! I still have hospital appointments and such in Dublin and the 1.8t isn't unreasonably thirsty even compared to the diesels I own! They're much older than you're after but my newest (an 02 Audi a3) is mapped by joe power and is astonishingly economical!

I know someone with a saab 9-3 1.9tiid 150 for sale it's 05 I'm almost sure and has a small price tag with no nct! If you were interested in it! I only mention it as you referred to them!

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
Can you recall what Mr.Power charges for a diesel remap Rob please?  9-3 tid 150 mapped to 180 might be interesting.

Offline nivek4209

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
I got the leon remapped there with a lad in monaghan trades under reverse code
Egr deleted and blanked dpf burn off after a few weeks of driving in safe mode and a remap twice as i still wanted more after the first tweek :)
Goes well now for a 1.6tdi probably too well
Full 3" exhaust
 Brembo conversion

Offline fozzybear

• Team Member
  • Feature Writer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »
Gar, you're a loon :laugh:  I'm old, need something dignified.

Offline smokey wrx

• Unique And Epic
  • VIP Member
  • strugglin by....
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 11:45:05 PM »
If I was to guess I'd say around 350! It's best to ask him yourself but you are getting custom dyno mapping for your money! There was a night and day difference to my golf after he done his thing and it was supposedly already tuned!

1.6 tdis need to be tuned but still are only fit for yer gran to drive!!

Offline nivek4209

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
If I was to guess I'd say around 350! It's best to ask him yourself but you are getting custom dyno mapping for your money! There was a night and day difference to my golf after he done his thing and it was supposedly already tuned!

1.6 tdis need to be tuned but still are only fit for yer gran to drive!!
Have you seen my date of birth technically i could be your granny :)
Full 3" exhaust
 Brembo conversion

This web site is hosted by http://www.chireland.com.
anything